Monday, October 17, 2011

The Yes!!! Moment

You all know what I'm talking about. No, not that. I'm talking about the moment that makes you fall in love with a story.

It could be a kissing scene. It could be a line that makes you laugh out loud. It could be the dynamic between two characters. At any rate, it's the thing you think about long after you've closed the book or stopped watching the movie.

For example, I was convinced I'd hate the move 27 Dresses. I mean, no one's been in that many weddings, right? Not to mention I've heard Katherine Heigl is kind of an itch with a b.

But wait... James Marsden is in it? That changes everything.

As it turns out, my lust for blue-eyed, dark-haired hotties led to me to watch a movie I actually ended up enjoying. And this scene is the one that did it for me:


Go ahead, try and tell me it's not adorable. The barbs, the singing, the confession, THE KISS... *sigh*

What's better than a mix of humor and hot? And who doesn't wish they had the guts to get up and sing the wrong words to Bennie and the Jets in front of a room full of people?

YES!!!

Then there's this scene, from one of my all time favorite movies ever, Gone With the Wind:



My CP's know this about me already, but I sort of have a weakness for flawed but likable characters. Specifically opinionated, somewhat petulant girls. Scarlett is most definitely that. And she is GORGEOUS.

Someone once told me I resembled Vivien Leigh (I don't) and it was probably the best compliment I've ever gotten. Off topic. Sorry.

Anyhow this scene is all about Rhett, and the way he puts her in her place without batting an eye - You miss, are no lady. And bam. Scarlett, for once in her life, is rattled. Let the sexual tension flow.

YES!!!

So peeps- share some of your favorite YES!!! moments with me. Whether it's books or movies, which fictional moments are still replaying in your mind?

6 comments:

  1. I can't think of an example, but I know exactly what you mean, and you're right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen 27 Dresses, but love that scene. And wow, James is hot and cute all rolled into one.

    I love books with that Yes moment too. They're the books you have a hard time forgetting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd forgotten that scene in 27 dresses. Who wouldn't have kissed him after that?

    And Gone with the Wind is one of my favourite films, so thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Besides Pride & Prejudice, Gone with the Wind is my favorite story ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. Okay. I could gush about this for hours.

    In the first book I ever loved, A WRINKLE IN TIME, it was when Calvin held Meg's hand. Bliss.

    In the first classic book I became obsessed with, JANE EYRE, it was right at the beginning when this happened:

    Mr. Brocklehurst: And what is hell? Can you tell me that?
    Young Jane: A pit full of fire.
    Mr. Brocklehurst: And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there forever?
    Young Jane: No sir.
    Mr. Brocklehurst: What must you do to avoid it?
    Young Jane: Keep well and and not die, sir.

    (OMG HOW MUCH DOES JANE EYRE KICK YOU-KNOW-WHAT?)

    In THG, it's right at the beginning too. When she flashes back to Peeta tossing her that loaf of bread, I'm hooked.

    Oh! And in LBD, it's when Becca runs out in front of the car. Hee.

    I think the sooner the YES! moment happens, the better for the book. But it can happen later, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen 27 Dresses, but that's a great scene. As for Scarlett, she always drove me a little bit nuts.

    ReplyDelete